Sunday, September 12, 2010
Semi-Melancholy Moment of Introspection
It's one of those days.
End of the summer. A quiet day, mostly alone. Didn't have enough energy to accomplish what I had set out to do and now I am feeling like a failure for not accomplishing the long list of "should-haves".
Most of all...
I want to give mom a call and see how she's doing.
She died in 1997.
Mom canned 80 quarts of tomatoes every year, as well as beets, beans, tomato juice, and spaghetti sauce. This recipe is in honor of all of those hot days spent canning.
Pickled Peppers, Cauliflower, and Carrots
1/2 small head of cauliflower cut into florets
8 jalapeno peppers, whole
1 very large carrot slant cut into 1/8" slices
1 teaspoon pickling spices
3 cups vinegar
3 cups water
3/8 cup of pickling salt
1. Clean and wash vegetables, cutting them to proper size.
2. Stuff vegetables in sterilized quart Mason Jar and add pickling spices.
3. Bring salt, vinegar, and water to a boil and pour over vegetables, filling jar to 1/2 inch below rim.
4. Seal with lid and ring and place in boiling water bath for 15 minutes, submerging jar by 2 inches.
5. Take out and allow to cool over night.