Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's my birthday, it's my birthday!

Well, on Sunday, December 5th, 2010 I turned 55 years old. 



Now I am getting into my father's territory... 

All those old Germans when I was growing up?  I'm one of them!


Nativity Window at Notre Dame de Chicago

I started out my morning thinking about a guest post I was scheduled to do for a photoblog.  Since the general parameter was going to be Christmas, I came up with the idea of shooting the nativity window in our church.  After I had done so, I was driving home concocting some sort of interesting story about the window when Kath and I came upon the Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade.  I got incredible shots of some of the bikers and ended up using that for my post.  You can check it out here.

Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade

In the afternoon we went to a shared birthday party for Marina Amusin (Savva's mom) and myself.  It was an absolutely grand time of good people and good fun.  In retrospect (or at least two days of retrospect) it was quite funny that Marina and I were responsible for the food at our own party.  But you know what, I don't think either one of us would have wanted it different.  It's what Marina and I have done for our families for years.


Self Explanatory

I got some great presents... Bourbon, of course, and cookbooks, of course.  But the things I remembered most as I sat down later in the evening and reminisced about the party was being with the people I love.  Any time that I can spend with the kids, Ilene, Kathy, and the band, is good.  I also got this precious card from Danika...



Needless to say, I had a great time.

Tonight we had these Spicy  Party Meatballs....

4 pounds ground chuck roast
1 large onion finely chopped
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
3 tablespoons Worcestshire
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
24 oz. Heinz Chili Sauce
24 oz. Grape Jelly

1. Mix all ingredients except the last two well.
2. Form into 1 inch balls.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, turning twice until evenly browned.
4. Let cool.
5. In a large saute pan, combine Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili Sauce and simmer until combined.
6. Add meatballs and simmer gently until the sauce coats the meatballs well and the sauce thickens nicely.  Keep close eye so that it doesn't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment