Sunday, February 27, 2011

From Father to Father...

Baby Shower

Table Setting at Danika's Shower

Danika and Savva's baby (a little girl!) is due March 17, 2011.  Ilene and my grandchild also happens to be due on the same date.


Who's toy is it???

Savva and Danika really seem to get along great and there is always a lot of laughter between them.  To be honest, Savva is a lot funnier than I am and I hate it like hell.  Oh well... I had my chance to shoot him and bury him in the backyard when they were dating.  Now he is going to be the father of my grandchild and he needs to be there to take care of that baby girl.

Anyone who knows me, knows how protective I have felt toward Danika.  I don't believe that she would ever say that I was possessive or that I impeded her opportunities to socialize or grow.  Indeed, I think that I have encouraged her to experience life thoughtfully and fully.  Yet, I believe she always knows that whatever she needs and wherever she is, I would be there to help her in whatever way I could.  And yes, I did show her boyfriends my rifle and inform them that I had thirteen rounds in the magazine to write my name on their ass from 200 yards, should the need arise!  (All with the love of Jesus, of course!)

When I was growing up, there were lots of stories about heroic men from World War II who gave up their lives for their platoon mates, or Christians who gave up their lives for the sake of the Gospel, or people who were killed risking their lives to save a stranger from harm.  I probably read every Reader's Digest "Hero in Real Life" article from 1963 through 1969.  I cried as I read each one thinking of the heroism displayed.  Yet, I always had doubts that I would be heroic.  I think I was too afraid of the possible pain.  I was also worried that maybe I wouldn't make it to the Holy City and I would have to sweat out eternity in some celestial jungle, without a mosquito net, should I actually die.

I never had a doubt, though, about risking my life for Danika (or Danny).  No heroism, no valor.  Just the knowledge that I would not want to live any longer unless I had given everything to protect them.

So, Savva...  here is my advice.  When you hold your daughter in your arms, realize that she is the most precious being in the universe.  Nothing has meaning except her well being.  Your love for her will define how she relates to others as she grows into maturity.  You will fail to be perfect.  Your goal should remain, however, to be perfect in her eyes.

My prayers will be with you.

Oh... you may be funnier, but I can cook better.

Here is my recipe for Sloppy Joes... which Danika loves, by the way.

2 pounds Ground Beef  (Grind from a lean cut as you don't want much fat in this dish.)
1 Onion, chopped
1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Crushed through a Garlic Press
24 ounces K.C. Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Water

1.  Brown the Ground Beef in a 4 quart Saute Pan over medium high heat.
2.  Add the chopped vegetables and lower to medium heat until they become translucent, about 7-8 minutes.
3.  Add the BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup water and cook over low heat until the sauce is thick and adheres to the meat.  The dish should not be "saucy".


Proud Grandma and Grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. Never have I read more perfect advice Dan. Congratulations to the entire family. I can't wait to see photos of that perfect little girl.

    ReplyDelete